Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Vitamins at odds with exercise?

Go figure. Just when you think you're doing everything right, you find out that the vitamins you're taking may be actually negating some of the positive effect of your workouts. XU69EG84GDWM

In this article in the New York Times, a study indicates that antioxidant supplements Vitamin C & E may actually defeat
the body's natural mechanisms of fighting the oxidative effect of exercise (is that a double negative?).

From one point of view, you could say to yourself "I don't need to be taking these antioxidants, because I'm already stimulating my body's natural, and beneficial, antioxidant mechanisms by working out". That much makes a certain sense to me.

There seem to be so many conflicting indicators on this stuff, it's a little hard to feel like you've got the gospel in lock-down. Ultimately, I guess you've gotta make your own call. 

I like to tap the resources in my personal network to help make sense of things like this. In this case, my genius Niece, Alixanna Norris, a cancer biochemistry researcher at Dartmouth and vicious cyclocross competitor, for tipping me to this article and giving it some common sense spin: "Interesting!".

XU69EG84GDWM 


No comments:

Post a Comment