Monday, April 11, 2011

Part 6: Training, Really

Holy crap - this was going to be my new workout plan? 

More than 10 hours of workouts in the first week. 5 hours of cycling, 3-1/2 hours of running, and more than 3 hours of swimming. Was this guy crazy? He had me scheduled for two workouts a day on some days. What had I gotten myself into?

But I was still excited. I figured that since I had shared my workout logs for the previous three months with him, he knew what I should be able to do, so I shouldn't get into too much trouble.

After the first two weeks, I could not believe I was keeping up with the schedule, for the most part, without any injuries or major complaints. Sure, I dropped a few, like you would if someone suddenly put you up on stage and started tossing you flaming clubs to juggle. I jumped in and got started, but just really didn't know what had hit me.

I was frequently still sore from the previous day as I went into my workouts, and I was taking Naproxin most nights before going to sleep. But I was actually enjoying them - except for the running, which was like pushing an overloaded wheel barrow every time.

Then came the time trials.

Michael explained that in order to customize the workout plan to my level of fitness, he needed to measure it in a series of time trials on the track, on the bike, and in the pool.

The trials were basically all structured the same way. Warm-up for 15 minutes or so, then run/bike/swim a fairly challenging mid-distance as fast as you could. Then cool down afterwards always a cool down. I sent him the reports of speed, distance, time and heart rate.

I was pretty unimpressed with my numbers, mainly because I had looked at what people in my age group do in some local triathlons. But there they were a starting point.

From these numbers, Michael established running speed zones, and cycling heart rate zones (Aerobic, Tempo, Power Interval, ...). This allowed him to assign workouts more easily, like: "15 minute Aerobic run followed by three 5-minute tempo intervals with 10 minute jog recoveries in between...".

This was handy, because with all the workouts he was putting together every week, we needed a shorthand.

There were no zones established for the pool because heart rate monitors really don't work in the pool, and it's fairly easy to assign lap timings and repetitions based on the trial. Also, a lot of what goes on in the pool is technique training. As it turns out, that is where most speed in the water lurks: improved technique.

In part one of this blog, I admitted that for most of my life, I had made a fair to mediocre effort at staying in shape. Part of my basic religious belief system about working out was that you go to the gym one day, and then rest the next. Or three. But you never workout two days in a row.

That period of my life had just come to a crashing halt.

Part 7 in a few days. Thanks for reading! And
please visit my American Cancer Society fund raising web site: http://main.acsevents.org/goto/pmeese, click the RED "DONATE" BUTTON and, if you are able, make a small contribution in support of my entry in The NYC Triathlon.  
 
Due to the generosity of my awesome friends and family, my personal fund raising goal of $3,000 has now been exceeded by more than 50%, and still climbing. But don't let that stop you from joining more than 50 other supporters and contributing a little more if you feel this is a good cause and it would fit into your annual giving budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment