Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Part 4: "Preparation" vs. "Training"

So, the first event was really fun. Afterwards, I thought if I was going to do any more, in the interest of survival and dignity, I should really "get in better shape". Even the way I thought about training at that point was rudimentary.

"Preparation"
For the next two months, I swam, biked and ran regularly, each about once a week. Toward the middle of November, I was pretty impressed with my level of activity. I was swimming a mile in a little more than 30 minutes. I was cycling, usually solo, anywhere from 10 to 30 miles with average speeds into the 17mph range. I had built up my run from two to four miles at about a 10 minute mile pace. During that eight weeks, I swam 8 miles, biked 280, and ran 40.

But I began to wonder if my methods and volume of "training" was going to make me any faster. Perhaps because I had begun to realize I had no idea what I was doing.

There was nothing systematic, strategic, or even knowledge-based about how I was training. I realized that, while I might very likely improve my overall conditioning, the biking and running were likely to be like my swimming work to date: either it wouldn't result in much improvement, or worse yet, I might over-train and hurt myself. I laugh now to think how far I was from over-training. Although, from the condition I started in, maybe there actually was a risk. In any case, I knew recovery from an injury could throw a multi-week wrench in a training plan and I wanted to avoid that.

I needed advice.

So I called my brother Craig. Craig lives in Colorado Springs and is a serious amateur cyclist. We talked every once in a while about his cycling and training and I was always impressed at his seriousness and the level of knowledge he had cultivated about training.

Craig is an inch taller than I am and weighs about 175 pounds, 45 pounds less than me at the time, and all muscle. A high school basketball player, he had always been in pretty good shape, and had recently been doing cycle-specific training. He had worked hard and developed himself over the last few years and had begun to chalk up some impressive event placings in his area cycling community.

Craig and I talked for a while about my situation and what I wanted to do. Ultimately, he suggested I talk to Michael, a member of his cycling team and a professional triathlon coach, to get some triathlon specific advice.

Michael had qualified for, and competed numerous times in the Super Bowl of long distance triathlon events, the Kona Ironman. The event motto is "Swim 2.4 miles, Bike 112 miles, Run 26.2 miles, Brag for the rest of your life". With only 1,800 starting positions every year, only the world's best athletes qualify. Also, in 2010, as in previous years, he had competed in the Pikes Peak Ascent, a half-marathon run (13.1 miles) with a 7,800 vertical foot climb to 14,000 feet. In that event, he had placed 1st in his division of 172, and 21st overall out of 1,100 competitors. This guy knew some things about endurance sports. Michael is 48 years old.

Part 5 in a few days. Thanks for reading and in the mean time, if you are able, please visit my American Cancer Society fund raising site: http://main.acsevents.org/goto/pmeese, click the RED "DONATE" BUTTON and make a small contribution in support of my entry in The NYC Triathlon.

Due to the generosity of my most extremeously awesome friends and family, my personal fund raising goal of $3,000 has been exceeded. Thanks to all who contributed! But don't let that stop you from contributing a little more if you feel this is a good cause and this contribution would fit into your annual giving budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment